[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Phantom Screenings

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

Post subject: Phantom Screenings
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:34 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Austin, TX

From Nick Edwards of The Signal

"Well, that time of year is fast approaching once again when Browncoats all over Earth That Is gather together to honour Joss Whedon's birthday by watching the Big Damn Movie on or around the 23rd of June. In the process we also traditionally (look, this is the 3rd year now, that makes it a tradition in fandom terms alright?) we raise money for Equality Now and other charities close to our hearts and have a damn fine shindig doing it as well.

As anyone who listens to any of the Firefly podcasts or frequents any of the Firefly forums, most of you will no doubt be aware that the Can't Stop The Serenity screenings this year are facing a few more challenges than usual. Principal among these challenges is the lack of prints of Serenity that are available for the USA screenings in particular, due to the accidental destruction of all but 12 of the US prints – a story we covered last episode - against the express internal wishes of Universal I might add. Oddly, this is not a challenge that bothers me that much. Universal are doing a lot to put right the situation by shipping in spare prints from elsewhere and also hopefully arranging for DVD performance licences at reduced cost. Making new prints is not an option because theatre quality prints cost around 3000 pounds sterling or around 6000 US dollars. But as I said, this doesn't bother me.

Speaking to Beth Nelson as part of an interview for Sending A Wave, the wholly UK based Firefly and Serenity podcast, she assured us that this situation was not going to result in any US screening being cancelled as far as she was aware. And that it was more of a minor inconvenience than a disaster. With 40 cities around the world signed up and around 10,000 US dollars raised already this year, increases in the number of screenings in Australia and Canada in particular, T shirts and posters already arranged and some great guests and events planned around some of the screenings, things are off to a good start. But we need to do more.

Now some of you may be aware of the Affiliate Event programme that is coordinated via the Can't Stop The Serenity folks, information on which can be found at www.cantstoptheserenity.com . Basically this is all about holding a shindig in association with an existing screening, but not necessarily in the same city, in order to have fun and increase the money raised. This is a truly excellent idea. But I want to go further than this.

I have spoken on earlier episodes about shindiggery, conversion season and maximising your "hit rate". This is all connected to the idea I'm about to present to you, but it didn't all come together until a discussion in a pub, appropriately enough, between myself, Jill Arroway and Odile Thomas while we were all attending Serenity Complete.

It couldn't be simpler.

Have "Phantom Screenings". What in the name of god and all her wacky nephews is that? I hear you ask.
Easy. On or around the 23rd, or indeed whenever the hell you damn well like, you sit down at home and watch Serenity. You can do this alone or with friends or with potential converts, but you watch the film at home. Then you go to the pub or have a picnic, barbecue, or shindig to celebrate the fact. Doesn't have to be on the same day as you watch the film, though it would be more fun that way. The main point is that everyone who watches the film or attends a shindig or whatever, sticks a donation in the pot that will be sent to Equality Now via CSTS.

That's it.

The beauty of this is that ANYONE can do this. It also does not require direct input from Can't Stop The Serenity, though I can assure you that this idea does have the blessing of Beth Nelson and her dedicated crew. All it needs is for any number of Browncoats from 1 to…well however many the hell there are of us now to a) watch Serenity and b) send a donation big or small. Doesn't matter if it's equivalent to a few bucks or hundreds or more. It all helps…which is kind of the whole damn point.

Now clearly you can take it a bit further than this…and this is where the simplicity of the idea comes in again…of course you can. You can organise a raffle, have a quiz with a small entry fee…whatever you like, it's entirely up to you. All that matters is that as an individual or as part of a group, you watch the film and you make a donation so more money is raised. Simple.

I'd suggest a sensible minimal donation might be what you might pay to go see a movie, but again, it's entirely up to you. Anything from doing this on your own all the way up to organising a full scale screening is fine. Of course, once you get beyond a certain stage, this is when you should contact Beth Nelson and bring in the CSTS expertise and support and another official screening is born. It is certainly not too late in the day to do this and the period of time during which screenings can be considered part of CSTS 2008 has been extended.
Beth indeed has offered to hook people up with organisers of official screenings if you'd like to be partnered up and send your donations via them to boost their take. I personally plan to try and hook up with the screening organised by Sheila in Toronto, who I met at Serenity Complete and who has the only other copy of the Badgers Word CD signed by Mark Sheppard, which will be up for auction.

So. It's all up to you now. Support a local screening by being involved or attending, run an Affiliate event in support if you can, but if all else fails, hold a Phantom Screening. In fact strike that. Hold a Phantom Screening anyway. Hold 2 or 5 or more over the year…the only limit on these is your willingness to do it and your imagination. We're Browncoats and that makes us mighty and there is no excuse NOT to do this and help this year's Can't Stop The Serenity be the most successful yet.

Over at the Signal, we would love to hear about how you get on with this. This is Fanac at a grass roots level and I hope to be able to read many reports of events of ANY size on the forums so that we can share them with our listeners in the same way as we have with the What's Your Serenity? segments.

So it's over to you. Make us proud. "

Nick Edwards"

Post subject: Re: Phantom Screenings
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:40 pm 

Signal Origin:
Banbury, UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:47 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:17 pm 

Signal Origin:
Banbury, UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:29 pm 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:40 pm 

Signal Origin:
Germantown, MD

Is there a list of CSTS sites that are capable of collecting donations for Equality Now from random strangers online? I'd like to pass the idea of Phantom Screenings on to a bunch of friends of mine all over the country who'd like to attend CSTS but have none within driving distance. They'd like to be involved and this sounds like a great way for them to be able to participate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Vancouver has a 'Donate' button on our blog: http://serenityscreeningvan.blogspot.com , if anyone wants to donate through us. :D

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:30 pm 

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

Memphis, TN also has a donate button on their website. They're a new city this year and could definitely use the extra support.

http://mid-southbrowncoats.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:13 pm 

Signal Origin:
Banbury, UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 am 

Signal Origin:
Germantown, MD

Thanks stoweaway and samatwitch! I will certainly pass it on.

I talked one of my friends into going to the Memphis CSTS with a friend--so that's two more admissions to add to the list! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:35 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

We're going to add a general donation button onto the main website.

That'll help folks out that want to just donate to EN, and don't have a local CSTS event to support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:22 pm 

Signal Origin:
MN

Along the lines of Affiliate Cities and Phantom Screenings, let me explain something we're trying here in addition to our screenings.

It's a on the day of our 3rd screening date.

The maths on just the the shindig portion of our events is this:

40 People paying $35 per ticket, they get to paint their own parasol, enjoy a catered lunch, hobnob with other browncoats, and we come out $500 ahead. That's $500 for Equality Now after all costs are covered. I fully expect this portion of the event to sell out quickly. We just opened ticketing today.

Anyhoo, just an idea for folks who aren't able to get a full blown screening together, or as an addition to a phantom screening. It's fun, social, and doesn't cost a whole lot to get put together. Ask me again how I feel about it afterward, and I may have a different view. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:38 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

What a neat idea, Roseivy! We have an oriental looking parasol that Jewel is going to sign for our silent auction, but I never thought about a painting party. Are the parasols and lunch donated?

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:49 pm 

Signal Origin:
MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:48 pm 

Signal Origin:
Southern California